[LinuxBIOS] CONFIG_LB_MEM_TOPK

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Apr 10 17:18:43 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:40:17AM -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> not sure if it's watchdog.
>
> Here's the easiest way to tell. boot with
> init=/bin/sh
> and, once you get the shell prompt, just let it sit there.
>
> At that point, ints are enabled, and if there's something bad going on
> you need to control, you'll know it in about 15 seconds.

I let it boot 5 times. Used the stopwatch on the last 2 boots:

T 000:00:16.143
T 000:01:20.498

So if it's a watchdog timer, it's a pretty variable one (?). The third boot
also felt like at least a minute. I've attached the boot log.

> I had a vendor do this to me once: they changed the board and connected
> (on the board) and  started enabling a watchdog and did not tell me --
> one week before an exhibit. I had a sleepless weekend.
>
> Of course, the part # did not change -- they never do ...

Ugh. I don't understand why they never do that. Must make their own support
people's life hell.

Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>