[LinuxBIOS] VIA EPIA-MII in the supported list but no target?

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Sep 26 14:19:07 CEST 2005

[I don't know if you meant to take this offlist, but I think it's better
it stays there so anyone wondering the status in the future can read the
archives]

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 03:53:19AM -0700, John Galloway wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2005, at 1:10 AM, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 03:35:38PM -0700, John Galloway wrote:
> >>I'm looking at attempting to use LinuxBIOS to boot my VIA
> >>EPIA-MII10000 from the CF slot (a common desire among MII users, but
> >>with little success it seems).  The EPIA-MII IS in the supported
> >>motherboards list, but targets/via only has an entry for epia and
> >>epia-m, no epia-mii.  The M and the MII are different enough that I
> >>can't see them using the same target config.  What gives?
> >I thought the main difference between the M and the M-II was the
> >addition of the cardbus bridge for the CF/PCMCIA slots? What other
> >differences are there?
> Oh, none I guess (I thought there was more but checking the specs,
> now, I don't see it) but that was in fact the difference that concerns
> me since I want to boot off the CF slot.

> >There's old code for the bridge in src/southbridge/ricoh/rl5c476/
> >but I don't think it even compiles at present.
> but now I don't see why LinuxBIOS cares about that since its FILO that
> will be loading the kernel off CF, so now I'm not sure that even that
> matters.

But FILO doesn't setup any of the low level hardware. You need LinuxBIOS
to initialise the cardbus bridge and then map the CF slot appropriately
so that the IDE code in FILO can talk to your CF device.

> what was the code that doesn't compile for? (I suspect once I hit send
> all this will make sense but just now I seem to have lost it).

It looks like it does initial configuration of the bridge and maps the
CF card to 0x1E8->0x1F0. I don't have an EPIA-MII so I've only looked at
it just now.

J.

--
     There are always at least two ways to program the same thing.
[ Black Cat Networks ] [ 0845 PAYG dialup ] [ ADSL from £20+VAT/month ]