[LinuxBIOS] PLCC removal trick

Jeff Carr jcarr at linuxmachines.com
Thu Sep 15 03:44:30 CEST 2005

On 09/14/2005 01:38 PM, Richard Smith wrote:

> If you are doing that much LB work then you _really_ need and eprom
> emulator.

I see from this page:
http://www.antratek.nl/EPROM-emulators-e.html

> It will pay for itself in the time you save waiting on the
> flash to program.

More than that I think. How smart are these devices? Can one single step
through instructions or dump out the registers on the CPU.(?)

> Tech Tools has some good ones for about $300 and the 16bit DOS loader
> programs that they provide in addition to the windows clients will run
> under DOSEMU fine.

Interesting. Do you have some URL's? The FAQ doesn't contain anything
like this in it.

> (As long as you use the fast parallel port option)
> The windows clients might run under WINE but I've not tried.

Perhaps you can send some screenshots of the software or email some of
the capabilities of using an emulator. Man, if only someone made one
that hooked up to gdb, then we would be in business.

> Seriously.  Get an emulator.  You will be happy you did.

Perhaps. This is the first I've heard of them so I'd like to see what is
out there in the market.

> You will also probally need a DIP to PLCC adapter.

Right. The adapter size is likely to be a problem. Some boards will not
have the space to fit such an adapter. Guess it's back to the making
adapters game.

Thanks for the pointers,
Jeff