[LinuxBIOS] PLCC removal trick

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:38:56 CEST 2005

On 9/14/05, Dave Ashley <linuxbios at xdr.com> wrote:
> I don't know about anyone else but the dental floss idea didn't
> work at all for me, the floss interferes with the pins.
>
> I had this idea on how to remove the chip easily, but I
> haven't tried it. Just get some strong epoxy and glue
> onto the top surface of the flashrom something to
> act as a handle. After it's dry, use that to pull the
> chip out.
>
> JB Weld might work.

If you are doing that much LB work then you _really_ need and eprom
emulator.  It will pay for itself in the time you save waiting on the
flash to program.

Tech Tools has some good ones for about $300 and the 16bit DOS loader
programs that they provide in addition to the windows clients will run
under DOSEMU fine.  (As long as you use the fast parallel port option)
The windows clients might run under WINE but I've not tried.

Seriously.  Get an emulator.  You will be happy you did.

You will also probally need a DIP to PLCC adapter.  So I guess the
real total is $500 (depending on the adapter you buy) .  Still its
totally worth the money.

--
Richard A. Smith