[LinuxBIOS] BIOS Saver discontinued

Jeff Carr jcarr at linuxmachines.com
Wed Sep 14 21:47:30 CEST 2005

On 09/14/2005 11:44 AM, Stephen.Kimball at bench.com wrote:

>>tried to duplicate the 256KB bios by putting it in a 512KB chip (SST
>>28SF040A vs 39SF020A). This didn't seem to work (no beep or video but
>>didn't try port 80 parallel card yet). Perhaps someone knows if this
>>should work. Can someone recommend a good place to get a handful of
>
> SST
>
>>39SF02A PLCC chips for these experiments?
>

> Look for the device data sheet on the SST Web site.  If the device is
> pin compatible, it should work.  Usually pin compatible devices have the
> same first 4 characters and the last 4 describe the capacity.

That's crazy! The PLCC 32pin connector doesn't have a standard pin
layout? Wow; that's really silly.

I see now on the datasheets. Pins 1(A18), 2(A16) & 30(A17) can be NC on
the 256KB chip. Makes sense. Seems like this chip should work to me;
just thought I would ask. I don't understand the memory layout &
behavior of the pc bios enough yet to know if this should or shouldn't
work yet.

Jeff