[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS Summit: Draft Schedule
ollie at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 13 23:20:33 CEST 2005
We are working on the agenda for LinuxBIOS summit. Here is a draft
version. Please give us any suggestion and help you have.
We categorized the attendance into three parties, the vendors, the users
and the developers. We hope the three parties can each describe their
past experience, outstanding problems and future directions such that
these three parties can help each other.
The first day will be focus on current status report. We are going to
1. Richard Bruner from AMD will talk about
AMD's plan on LinuxBIOS and their roadmap
for their products.
2. LNXI will give us their experience on
integrating LinuxBIOS in their cluster
3. Terra soft will give us their plan of
using LinuxBIOS in their PPC 970 products.
Users from Sandia and Los Alamos will talk on
their experience of using LinuxBIOS in clusters.
Developer Status Report
Developers will give presentations and hands-on
demo of recent development. Topics includes:
1. Dual Core support for AMD K8
2. Cache As Ram support for Intel and
3. Integrating VGA BIOS support in your
On the second day we will focus on making LinuxBIOS more friendly for
people of the three parties:
1. User Interface: What kind of default payload
and/or user interface are we going to use?
Do we want it to be command line or menu
2. User's Manual.
1. KConfig: Josaih England will show us his
work on using KConfig to replace the current
2. Development Model: What is the svn commit
and release process?
3. Device Object Model: People still complain
about the complexity of the current device
model. Can we make it easier to work with?
What is the impact of a new config too like
#1 on the device model? How are we going to
generate PIRQ/ACPI etc. tables?
4. Programmer's Manual.
1. We need to discuss the possibility of
signing N-party NDA with vendors for
their unreleased products.
2. How can we ensure 3rd party that our code
is clean and free of legal trouble?
3. Binary blob and EFI/Tiano Interface. How
are we going to play nice with Intel?
If anyone get inspired during the discussion,
start implement your idea immediately!!
On the third day we will look forward further into the future:
1. FreeFI: Possible name change and official
2. LinuxBIOS as Linux: Ron just doesn't give up
his old LinuxBIOS==Linux idea. He will show
how he is recycling it.
Hey, you had a good time. It is time to do your
Li-Ta Lo <ollie at lanl.gov>
Los Alamos National Lab
More information about the coreboot