[LinuxBIOS] Open Gaming Console

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Thu Sep 1 05:02:33 CEST 2005

Adam Talbot wrote:
> Would there be any thing wrong with using something along the lines of a
> SFF based computer. Something like.
> http://global.shuttle.com/Product/barebone/brb_OverView.asp?B_id=26
>
> Some of the older systems are cheap, and we dont need buy/build a nice
> case and power supply. The box comes in at around $180 for the case,
> power supply and motherboard. I dont think we will be able to build an
> itx based system for less. These systems are very fast and allows for us
> to use any graphics card we want. Just an idea.

It's great, except that socket A cpu's are about to totally disappear
from production. Here are the current AMD roadmaps and status:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_609,00.html?redir=CPT301

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html

Look at socket 754 based systems for a bit more life. Semprons look like
the current bargains.

Any input from AMD on the cpu sweet spots for the next year?

-Bari