[LinuxBIOS] issue 20, island aruma update

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:58:42 CET 2005

> Something I've been mulling over is having some simple app that uses lshw (for
> example) to punt the information to some central What-Hardware-Works central

I see lshw understands OpenFirmware.  What would be really cool is if
it could be made to understand linuxbios tables as well.

Even more cool would be using all this data to automate the "Does LB
work on my main board?" question that hits the list all the time.

The user would do an lshw and then send it to the "brain" which would
report back success reports based on matching hardware.  I think a
fairly simple matching scheme would work.

ie:
 for each device in lshw tree:
     if exists success board rpt with matching device:
        append sucess report.
 send report

That way you would get back a listing of all boards that had at least
one of your devices on them.  So in the case where the board is not
supported directly the user would be able to cherry pick the parts and
perhaps produce the framework of a working setup.

--
Richard A. Smith