[LinuxBIOS] flash issue with AMD Ref board

beneo beneo at comcast.net
Thu May 12 03:56:48 CEST 2005

I'm playing with the AMD seranede board. The flash_and_burn utility can not program linuxBIOS to the flash. but I can read the linuxbios and save to a file correctly.

If I boot from AMI BIOS, using same utility, I can program a linuxBIOS into the flash. That made me believe some setting by linuxBIOS on the AMD Ref board is not right. I just don't know what.

I used gdb to trace the code, Flash_and_burn utility enables flash by program two AMD Southbridge 8111 registers, One for enable 4MB window to flash (DevB, 0x43), one for enable write to the flash (DevB, 0x40). I checked the AMD datasheet, it seems all it need. But if I boot with LinuxBIOS, the flash erase command has no effect. with AMI BIOS, I can sucessfully erase a sector.

could anybody give me some pointer on what to check?

I should add, the linuxBIOS only reports 2GB memory when I really have 4GB in the system. I don't know if this have something to do with my issue.

Thanks

Beneo