[LinuxBIOS] logic error in rom image geomatry

Ramesh Chhaba ourlinuxid at yahoo.co.in
Wed Mar 30 14:38:19 CEST 2005

Hi All ,

I am trying to understand the boot sequence of PC BIOS

I have got an rough idea it is as follows

 1. system power up and fetch up first from ffffff0 addr.
 2. there  is a near jump to code  to get system in to flat or protected mode
 3. then we can jump to further secod stage bootloader after neccessary HW init.

 Plz  Somebody correct it and explain it in detail .

Second thing
 My BIOS image is ok abt 10 KB (suppose)
 and i have chip of 256KB So my image is like this

      -------------------------  lower most address(00000)
  Second stage bootloader :

 Protected mode init code :

  Basic HW init Code      :

              ..ffff0      jmp instruction to Basic HW init code( at bottom )
                          --------------------------- uppermost address(ffff...)

(Fig is reversed as per normal figures in books for memory )

And I want to know where to place this small code in BIG chip

         ---------------------Chip start  addr

                         where to place my code in it ???

   ----------------------chip end  addr

I think start and end of both will be in same direction  so it may be like this

  --------------------------lowest address for chip
   (free space with ff ff)

     -------------------------  lower most address(00000)
  Second stage bootloader :

 Protected mode init code :

  Basic HW init Code      :

  ..ffff0      jmp instruction to Basic HW init code( at bottom )

        --------------------------- uppermost address(ffff...) both for chip and code

Plz comment  and correct above information .

Thank you

Ramesh Chander