[LinuxBIOS] New version of ROM posting app

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:36:22 CET 2005

I put two new posting apps, a vm86 version and emu86 version out on:
bk://mesa3d.bkbits.net/rom

Get klibc from:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/klibc/

Install it somewhere and build it. You need to make a link to the
kernel source in the top level klibc directory. In this directory make
a link from the klibc-xxx directory to klibc.

Both projects will then build.
v86bios uses vm86 to run the rom
post uses emu86

Use an environment variable to pick the card to be acted on:
export DEVPATH=/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0

vm86 is 20K non-debug
emu86 is 40K non-debug

Currently they don't use Ben's VGA arbiter which isn't ready yet. When
finished these app will automatically be triggered on driver load as
part of the hotplug process.

The source to vm86 is from the linux BIOS project where is has been
worked on to make it substantially smaller. I like to keep everyone on
the same source code base if possible.

Once we get these cleaned up and working I'm hoping to get them added
to the klibc project. Once in klibc, klibc is schedule to go into the
kernel sooner or later.

They are both partially working but fail part way through the posting
process. I've been playing with them a couple of days and I can't
figure out why they are failing. They are both failing for different
reasons. Can anyone help?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com