linuxbios on k7sem with 2.6.x kernel?

Thomas Wehrspann thomas at wehrspann.de
Mon Mar 7 13:38:00 CET 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 14:57, Markus Wolters wrote:
> Hallo,
>

> I have an old k7sem board and I want to try Linuxbios (v1 or v2) on it. Now
> before I kill my board, I have a

I have the same board. Works well with LinuxBIOS v1.
AFAIK there is currently no v2 support for SiS boards like the K7SEM.

> few questions, maybe somebody could answer them to me and give me a helping
> hand?
>

> Is it possible to use a 2.6 kernel?

Yes, works here.
The kernel patches with v1 are only for 2.4 kernels. They are not neccessary,
but perhaps useful, so i ported them to 2.6 a while ago. See here
http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2004-July/008446.html

> Is it possible to use the original bios chip?

Try to get a DiskOnChip Millenium (NOT a DoC 2000). Although they are not
produced anymore ;-(
Does anyone know if the DoC Millenium Plus (has a  boot capability) is also
sufficient?

> And how do I configure and build it with these options, if it is possible?

There is a K7SEM HOWTO in the sources.

The last time i checked the CVS, it was broken for K7SEM. Try this patch for a
workaround
http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2003-August/004354.html

Thomas