[BULK] Re: [LinuxBIOS] Re: Linuxbios is always 421bytes larger than allowed

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Jun 27 21:50:14 CEST 2005

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, yhlu wrote:
>
>> eric line in reset16.lds
>> diff -r freebios_lnxi/src/cpu/x86/16bit/reset16.lds
>> ../freebios2/src/cpu/x86/16bit/reset16.lds
>> 8,9c8
>> <       _bogus = ASSERT(_start >= 0xffff0000, "_start to low please
>> decrease ROM_IMAGE_SIZE");
>> <       _ROMTOP = 0xfffffff0;
>> ---
>> >       _ROMTOP = (_start >= 0xffff0000) ? 0xfffffff0 : 0xfffffff8;
>>
>> So i suggest we put the line in reset16.lds and dont accept the line
>> in ldscript.lb
>
> at best this is a temporary fix. Putting computations into the ldscript is
> going to cause us trouble later.

Ron it sounds like you have an idea in mind, could you elaborate.

Currently all I am computing are things that the linker needs to deal
with.  The selection of addresses of specific files.

The ASSERT is especially useful as it turns a very mysterious error
message into something readable and comprehensible.  It is weird
that you have to assign ASSERT to a variable to have the declaration
work in nested linker scripts but hey it works.

Eric