[LinuxBIOS] Init wierdness without initrd - kernel 2.6.x

Hamish Guthrie hamish at prodigi.ch
Tue Jun 21 19:17:04 CEST 2005

I am wondering if anyone has come across this strange anomoly I am seeing:

I have a device with an 8M NAND device, and running short of RAM. I am using
SquashFS for the root filesystem.

If I use a tftpboot scenario with an initrd, everything functions correctly.

I am wanting to get rid of the initrd completely, and use a CramFS root
filesystem directly on the NAND flash device.

I set everything up correctly and am able to mount the root filesystem and
execute /sbin/init directly from the NAND device (using MTD drivers),
however, the init process, which is process 1, does not have superuser
permissions, however, in the environment with initrd, it does have superuser
permissions.

Has anyone seen anything like this before - btw, I am using kernel 2.6.11
and the latest MTD drivers etc.

TIA

Hamish