Fwd: Re: [LinuxBIOS] Potential copyright issues with decompiling ACPI tables?

Paul Millar paul at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 13:11:20 CEST 2005

I guess we can all claim that IANAL, but I've seen similar arguments with
 wine that might be useful.

Reading the copyright section on wikipedia:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
there's a mention of the "idea-expression dichotomy".  From wikipedia:

"a copyright covers the expression of an idea, not the idea itself [...]"

For this reason, simple header files (*.h) are normally not considered
copyrightable.  See, for example:
  http://www.kerneltraffic.org/wine/wn20010219_83.html
which links to the Sega case:
  http://www.eff.org/pub/Legal/Cases/sega_v_accolade_977f2d1510_decision.html

If the copyright notice is in the BIOS binary, it applies to that
instantiation of the code.  Simply copying the ACPI tables verbatim may be
legal (c.f. Sega case summary above about "purely functional" code), but
parsing the in-memory tables and writing them out to disk (which is what's
happening here, right?) is legal.

(IMHO, IANAL, ...)

Cheers,

Paul.