[LinuxBIOS] A boot problem....

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Thu Jul 28 18:50:20 CEST 2005

On 7/28/05, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> wrote:

> Usually you have to correct your pirq and mptable (or ACPI tables, if
> available) (Check the APIC entries in your mptable, as a first try)

In my previous post, I mentioned a good way to proceed is booting from
the commercial BIOS and running LB util/getpir to view the PIRQ table
and compare it to the irq_table.c of the LinuxBIOS being booted.

To check the MP table, boot the COTS BIOS & Linux and run LinuxBIOS
util/mptable which will generate an mptable.c file on stdout.  Compare
this code to the actual mptable.c code in the LinuxBIOS that caused
the boot problem.  (The code that util/mptable generates must be hand
edited to work under LinuxBIOS v2, so some differences should exist.)

Please note that some people consider running either util/getpir or
util/mptable to be a waste of time.  (I agree; Maybe these utilities
could be fixed so they would be more useful on LinuxBIOS v2.)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>