[LinuxBIOS] Thermal monitoring of Pentium 4s

Steven J. Magnani steve at digidescorp.com
Wed Jul 27 21:23:46 CEST 2005

Ronald G. Minnich writes:
> the kernel (directed by a user-mode program) should do it.

Ahh, but if the payload is memtest86, there IS no kernel. And that's
where we're having serious shutdown issues.

> See the LLNL p4therm module for a piece of kernel code that can let
you talk to the hardware.

All I can determine from the internet is that this magical piece of
software handles Xeon thermal management. I can't see any links to
source code.

I would argue that since this is a lurking "feature" of LinuxBIOS (you
have to know about it to avoid being bitten, and have to actively do
something in the kernel to avoid thermal issues) that having LB enable
thermal monitoring should be configurable. That would solve both our
issues.

Steve