[LinuxBIOS] Moving forward: Subversion

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Sat Jul 16 01:41:54 CEST 2005

Dear LinuxBIOS community,

most of you might not have noticed, but we've had quite adventurous
times during the last five months. The whole story started around
February, when LinuxBIOS decided to go away from Sourceforge's CVS
repository. CVS does not support restructuring code very well, and
Sourceforge sometimes had delays of a week before changes would be
visible to the world. That's why we moved on to a more modern version
control system: GNU arch.

While conceptionally very advanced, GNU arch also brought some issues
and required hefty efforts. While concepts and architecture are
important, usability and maturity is still a major concern with GNU
arch.

Since the Open Source/Free Software Firmware community wins nothing
when we all advance to version control experts but stick with
administrative issues, we decided to go to a mature system that
combines modern version control techniques with a steep learning
curve, making it a lot easier for everyone to have a look at LinuxBIOS
development, or contribute: Subversion

I've been migrating the LinuxBIOS repository to Subversion now.
We have been testing it for the the last month now and it has been a
good deal more reliable and usable than GNU arch.

By tonight the GNU arch repository is read only and will not accept
new checkins.

Here's a quick introduction how the LinuxBIOS repository can be
accessed from now on:

Anonymous access
----------------

You can check it out as follows:
 $ svn co svn://openbios.org/repos/trunk/LinuxBIOSv2
or
 $ svn co svn://openbios.org/repos/trunk/LinuxBIOSv1

Developer Access
----------------

Access for developers is very similar to anonymous access. Just add
your Subversion username as follows when checking out the repository:

 $ svn co svn://<username>@openbios.org/repos/trunk/LinuxBIOSv2

All people with checkin permission to the GNU arch repository will be
contacted shortly to move their accounts over to Subversion (Many of
them are already). If you are a LinuxBIOS developer and don't hear
from me, please contact me.

Source code browsing
--------------------

You can also browse the LinuxBIOS Subversion repository online:

         http://www.openbios.org/viewcvs/trunk/

Snapshots
---------

If you don't want to use Subversion, or can't use it, you can also
download a tar ball of the latest repository at

    http://www.openbios.org/viewcvs/trunk/LinuxBIOSv2.tar.gz?view=tar

More information on Subversion
------------------------------

Subversion is available as a package in all major Linux distributions.
It can also be compiled from source code on most available systems.

See the Subversion homepage http://subversion.tigris.org/ for more
information on Subversion, including a description of available commands
and the source code.

There's also a very detailed online book available on Subversion:
Version Control with Subversion - http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

The Subversion user interface is very similar to the CVS one, so
if you have used CVS before, it will be easy for you to use it and
participate in the LinuxBIOS project.

Comments, flames, questions are very welcome.

Best regards,
   Stefan Reinauer

--
OpenBIOS - free your system.