Another V2 question

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Jan 24 20:01:00 CET 2005

Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> writes:

> > And since I don't have prototypes (which makes inlining easier) those
> > functions must be defined before they are used.
> >

> Just curious now, how does the lack of prototypes make inlining easier?

The primary benefit comes from compiling everything in one pass.

The lack of prototypes means you can inline something as soon as you see
a call to it because you have it's definition.  At one point that was
a pretty big help.  I believe I have a second pass in there for other
reasons so adding prototype support would probably not be a big deal
at this point.

Eric