linuxbios on geode gx1.....

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Jan 14 08:44:00 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:08:39AM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
>
> > of curiosity. How much do you guesstimate it would increase cost
> > of the PIC if they add added built-in ethernet to it? $0.50 ?
> > (not really sure if Geode cpu has build in ethernet or not).
>
> I keep wondering if they did delete ethernet so as to make it not
> compete with more expensive platforms. I find the removal of
> ethenet very odd.

Neither GX1 nor Geode have ever had ethernet built-in. If you want
ethernet it goes on the external PCI bus. NatSemi has been known to
offer good package deals for sets of Geode+DP838xx+support chips
however.

Insyde BIOS licenses aren't exactly free however, and for a consumer
device that would indeed be the path of least resistance. You can get
custom modifications done for a fee too.

(Or, "just" port LinuxBIOS.. :)

//Peter