Is 440BX ported to Linuxbios v2?

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 14 06:03:00 CET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Richard Smith wrote:

> Ron.  What flash parts are supported by your hotswap trick?

we've never seen one that won't work. So an SST 29 020 ought to work.

Ollie Lo calls this the 'infamous hot plug-and-play'. It scared me the
first time I tried it, but in 5 years I've never seen it fail.

The trick is to read the speed grade. Make sure the part you get is as
fast as the part you're replacing. This bit me on one board I had.

> However this may also mean that once they are set they will never
> change.  So you might be able to put in the BIOS that came with the
> board.  Set your settings and then use LinuxBIOS after that.

This could explain a problem we had with a via vt5426 once. We asked the
fuctory bios to overclock. The board never came back; after that point it
could only be booted with linuxbios.

ron