linuxbios on geode gx1.....

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Thu Jan 13 16:10:01 CET 2005

Adam Sulmicki wrote:

>> I think the geode+ddr that you are referring to is the
>> AMD Geode GX2. It's being sold in India (typically
>> together with broadband packages) as the basis for a
>> low cost computer called the AMD PIC. It's priced at
>> USD$185 without a monitor and has DDR330 128MB RAM,
>> 10GB hdd, audio, 1024x768x32 at 75Hz video. It's a 400MHz
>> part, the GX533 label, I think comes from it's
>> "equivalent performance" measurement.
>

> and no ethernet, sigh.

The PIC is part of a marketing campaign called 50x15 "affordable
Internet access and computing for 50 percent of the world population by
the year 2015"

http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_12264,00.html

We've been approached at times to design similar platforms for the 3rd
world. A x86 Linux machine with LinuxBIOS that also supports M$ with
enough power to run basic apps (word processing, browser, MPEG etc.) and
is real low cost <$100 and is as idiot proof as possible.

-Bari