linuxbios on geode gx1.....

ramesh bios ramesh_bios at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 14:29:01 CET 2005

Hi guys,

I think the geode+ddr that you are referring to is the
AMD Geode GX2. It's being sold in India (typically
together with broadband packages) as the basis for a
low cost computer called the AMD PIC. It's priced at
USD$185 without a monitor and has DDR330 128MB RAM,
10GB hdd, audio, 1024x768x32 at 75Hz video. It's a 400MHz
part, the GX533 label, I think comes from it's
"equivalent performance" measurement.

I have been thinking about getting the AMD-PIC at some
point to port linux on to it. Currently, they're being
sold with Windows CE on it. Apparently, it has a
gensys bios on it that only loads "signed" OSes. I did
notice that Linspire announced that they have a Linux
port for it so that's a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure about VIA but I believe Tyan is making a
low cost integrated board for this Geode GX2 cpu as
well. I'm hoping their price will be less than USD$100
after adding the hdd, ram, etc. :-)

Ramesh