Is 440BX ported to Linuxbios v2?

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 11:59:01 CET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:59:08 -0700 (MST), Ronald G. Minnich
<rminnich at lanl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Svante Signell wrote:
>
> > I found the BIOS chip brand and version: Its a Winbond W290C020-90
>
> a nice common safe part. Try hamilton-avnet or arrow. WARNING: when you
> call them, use the EXACT part #. Their databases are not able to do fuzzy
> logic.

http://www.digikey.com is your friend.

Well really almost any JDEC part 2MBits and larger will work.  If you
use a larger part you might have to ground the unused address lines if
they left them floating on the pcb.

> no idea on the FSB settings -- I think linuxbios always goes with the
> fastest :-)

The FSB is set via the clock chip.  The clock chip we have is set via
straps.  I'm not sure what your commercial bios is doing but the 440bx
is not rated for over 100Mhz.  So those other settings are
overclockings.  And they will change the speed of your PCI bus as
well.

I suspect your board has a small microcontroller on it with eeprom
that sets the strap settings on boot and then de-asserts reset.  That
or it boots in 66Mhz and then sets the clock chip after that.

Anybody know what clock chip is on that board?

--
Richard A. Smith