speaker beeper

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Jan 12 07:01:00 CET 2005

"Adam Talbot" <talbotx at comcast.net> writes:

> Need some way to test if linuxbios is booting correctly.  I am debugging and
> I have reason to believe that my problem is the super io... Does any one
> know how to get the pc speaker to beep in X second intervals, or some thing
> that simple, power LED blink... I would like to set up a "speaker beeper" as
> my payload.
>
> I would also like to try to get the new VGA bios running...  The graphics
> card is built on to the board, just to make life more of a pain. If any one
> is willing to give me a "How To" that would be of great help.

I would aim at the PC speaker if I could.  Usually the PIT (programmable interval
timer) which drives that speaker is on the south-bridge, so it should make a very
good target for getting output if you are not certain about the
super-IO.  The keyboard LED is a lot more work, so I would not worry
about that.  And I would suggest that a payload is much later than you
want that debugging to happen.

Unfortunately I don't believe we have an pc-speaker output coded for
the LinuxBIOS case.  I keep play with the idea of morse code console,
using the pc-speaker :)  You would not want full debugging on but it
might be useful for your kind of scenario.

Eric