work linuxbios with openbios

Greg Watson gwatson at lanl.gov
Mon Jan 10 09:38:01 CET 2005

This is a work-in-progress, so there is no documentation. The major
issue that needs to be addressed is that there is currently no
mechanism for passing the linuxbios discovered device information to
openbios. This is on my todo list.

Openbios is an implementation of the IEEE-1275 standard for Open
Firmware. This provides a standard means for loading an operating
system image from a device, as well as a series of callbacks that an
operating system can use to perform certain functions, such as writing
to an attached display. It is similar to filo in some respects, such as
the ability to load images from attached devices, but provides an
architecture neutral layer that simplifies the interface between the
operating system and the hardware. This means an Open Firmware enabled
kernel will run on virtually any platform that provides Open Firmware
support, without requiring kernel code that is specific to the
platform.

Greg