Attic gone?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Thu Jan 6 15:39:00 CET 2005

* Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [050106 21:01]:
> "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:
>
> > bitkeeper anyone? I'm using it for a lot of projects and going back to
> > sourceforge all the time is getting annoying.
>
> If we made regular releases bitkeeper might be an option.
> As it is I have extreme problems with their free license.

I wrote some scripts doing daily snapshots a while ago when OpenBIOS was
using bitkeeper.

> Stefan how has using arch for openbios been working?

I'm happy with it, some points:

* It combines the flexibility, distribution and enhanced functionality
  (like decent merge algorithms) of bitkeeper and the open source
  development model and licensing.

* There are .rpm and .deb packages available for all major
  distributions, clients for windows are also available.

* It works with wide spread communication layers such as ssh, ftp or
  webdav

* Due to it's distributed concept there is no "main" tree except through
  definition. There's no difference between a local repository and a
  remote one.

* Syncing from/to a CVS tree is easy as long as there's only one sync
  direction. The available software even intelligently pairs CVS
  checked in files into changesets. Patrick Mauritz set up a local
  freebios2 arch tree like this a while ago on openbios.org. It was a
  matter of less than an hour iirc.

* After the arch people were strictly focussed on a clean design they
  also take usability a lot more into regard these days.

* To make life easier for OpenBIOS developers we have a tight howto
  available at http://www.openbios.org/experience/gnuarch.html
  All in all it is no harder than cvs or bk if you are new to it.

* Repository browsing for the openbios arch repositories is available
  at http://www.openbios.org/cgi-bin/viewarch.cgi
  It works a lot like the well known viewcvs.

* Unlike bitkeeper I have full control over my source trees sitting on
  my own machine with a reliable high speed connection. No dependency on
  bkbits or sourceforge.net resources/bandwidth.

If you have concerns that should be met, tell me.

  Stefan