Via passing out linuxbios with out GPL?

Peter Karlsson petekarl at student.chalmers.se
Thu Feb 10 08:28:01 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> > -Linux bios team
> > http://www.viaarena.com/guides/WinCE/fastboot%20v2.03.zip
> > Looks like via is passing out linux bios, with out ever saying any thing
> > about GPL or linuxbios.org...
>
> we've got a couple of GPL violators in the linuxbios space. I know Orion
> Microsystems has got caught between a rock and a hard place and is
> distributing linuxbios-based systems without releasing sources; I have no
> idea if this via fastboot is linuxbios or not; via denies that it is.

I downloaded the above zip file, unzipped it and did a quick 'strings
*/BIOS* | grep -i linux' which resulted in:

Try to load Linux(0x%x) at dev 0x%x
LinuxBIOS
LinuxBIOS
Jump to Linux(0x%lx, 0x%lx)
Jump to Linux(0x%lx, 0x%lx)
Found file system used by Linux.(File System ID = 0x%x)
LinuxBIOS
LinuxBIOS
Jump to Linux(0x%lx, 0x%lx)
bash-2.05b$ strings */* | grep -i linux
[...]