[LinuxBIOS] any chance to get X fbdev driver to work ?

Christian Sühs chris at suehsi.de
Wed Dec 28 23:09:21 CET 2005

Richard Smith schrieb:
>>LinuxBios
>>included VGA-Bios Mvpsd_15.rom from Epia-M Bios Version 1.1.13
>

> Your VBIOS version number are different between Factory and Linuxbios.
>  If you can somehow compare the exact versions that would be best.

The Problem is, that the newer vga_bios .16 not work with LinuxBios.
If I remember right, there is no vga console coming up.
It seems the newer Version includes the TV-Ship Routines (VT1622)

> If you can't make Linuxbios run .16 can you get (or make) a factory
> bios version that is .13?

You mean, take the original bios, delete vga-bios .16 and insert
vga-bios .13 instead?
Well, I can try it and will see what happens :D
Unfortunatly, vga .16 is smaller as .13

>>Unfortanetly I can not write the differences from Linuxbios, because,
>>there are to much :D
>

> What are the address ranges that are different?

Oh, that is a hard work, but I will have a look.

> If we assume that Ver .13 dosen't do anything radically different from
> .16 then we should expect to only see minimal differences from the
> self-modify.

Somewhere in the code of .13 is a line, "Not for factory use, testing
only" :D I hope it will work ;)

> Are you sure that all of your shadow areas are setup correctly during the copy?

Good question, but I think so. How can I figure out, that all is make well.
As I say, some pieces of vga code is on the right place, you will see
it, if I write the different ranges. The rest of Linuxbios is okay and
works.