[LinuxBIOS] any chance to get X fbdev driver to work ?

Christian Sühs chris at suehsi.de
Sat Dec 24 11:02:49 CET 2005

Hey, and Happy X-Mas for all

For non working Bootsplash with vesafb and LinuxBios I use the Viafb
from Epia2 patch Kernel 2.4.25. Now Bootsplash works, with a little
trick in the bootsplash sources :D

But I'm not able to bring up a XServer with fbdev as driver. The system
hangs without any errors. It seems the problem is the viafb inside the
Kernel. Unfortunatly, I have the same problem with orginal Bios.
Furthermore, the X via driver does not work with the LinuxBios system.
I get an VGA_Bios checksum failure. With original Bios it works.

I have had a look on the X Via driver sources. The file called
via_bios.c (search for checksum)
It seems the routine looks on 0xc0000 for a valid vga_bios, all other
checks before are verified as true. Only the last check fails.

I have tried to start X without Bios Callbacks, but fail.

Is there any solution.

It should be a valid bios on 0xc0000, the checksum routine is a loop
about 65536 bytes. the result must be zero.

As I create the vga bios, I have fill up the rest with OO to 65536. Is
that the problem? Should I fill up with FF?

chris