[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS messing with CMOS on reboot?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Sat Dec 3 17:06:50 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm seeing a weird problem while switching back and forth between
a legacy bios and LinuxBIOS.

I have a 256 byte cmos image created with cmos_util and a 512k bios
image for each firmware flavour.

Switching from legacy bios to LinuxBIOS works fine using flashrom and
cmos_util.

Switching the other way round always leaves legacy bios with a wrong
checksum on the first boot.

writing the cmos from the file afterwards and rebooting is fine, so it's
not the cmos image that is wrong.

Could LinuxBIOS change the CMOS when doing a reboot?

Or is legacy bios doing some very weird things like safing additional
data in mystic places?

Stefan