[LinuxBIOS] FW: EPIA M-II (CF Boot)

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Sat Dec 3 07:30:13 CET 2005

Carl Farrington wrote:

>I am having problems with the kernel recognising the CF device as hde1
>though. I am able to manually mount hde1 from a diagnostics shell within
>the initrd after running cardmgr, so it is available, but once I exit the
>shell the kernel is saying it can't find hde1.

Is it possible to use an ATA to CF adapter?  There are both ATA-40
(desktop) and ATA-44 (laptop) plus dual CF versions.  The ATA-40 are
powered through a standard floppy drive power connector.  I assume the
ATA-44 versions are powered through the ATA-44 bus.  There is a jumper
to select master or slave.

I bought one on eBay a couple of months ago for less than $6, including
S+H.  Works great!  Search for "IDE" and "CF" though, since almost all
resellers incorrectly use the term "IDE" when they really mean "ATA".

Using an ATA to CF adapter would avoid the problems of using cardmgr in
an initrd, etc.  Obviously, the CF would not be hot swappable via the
ATA interface, but if its your boot drive, it can't be swapped out
anyway.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>