[LinuxBIOS] EPIA M-II (CF Boot)

Carl Farrington linuxbios at compsup.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 02:37:25 CET 2005

I would like to add my name to the list of people who have suceeded with the
EPIA-MII LinuxBIOS.

The VGA BIOS offset given by Nick Barker was no good for my board (Model:
EPIA-Mii12000 LVDS), I had to use skip=786432 as suggested by Jun.

I am having problems with the kernel recognising the CF device as hde1
though. I am able to manually mount hde1 from a diagnostics shell within the
initrd after running cardmgr, so it is available, but once I exit the shell
the kernel is saying it can't find hde1.

I'm not sure if Nick used devfs with his setup, but that's not available for
my 2.6.14 kernel. I have used mknod to create the device, and also tried
using udevstart but still have the same problem. I wonder if it's something
to do with me having all the pcmcia stuff compiled directly into the kernel
instead of as loadable modules? Unfortunately I'm quite rusty with Linux!

Anyway, I suppose this is a bit off topic. The LinuxBIOS seems to work
great, thank you, and big thanks to Nick for all your work on the EPIA M2.

Oh, by the way, I used Award's AWDFLASH to flash linuxbios.bin. Using the
undocumented /F option. Nick's HOWTO talked about a flash_and_burn utility
which wasn't in the tree, and the flashrom tool just wouldn't compile for me
for some reason. AWDFLASH worked, except for some strange quirks. I can't be
certain if it was due to bad floppies on my part, but for some reason I felt
I was having better success overwriting a good bios, rather than re-trying
on a failed flash. The machine would go loopy sometimes. It all works now
anyway.

cheers,
Carl