[LinuxBIOS] Using lilo

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Aug 19 22:22:42 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 09:08:06PM +0200, Michal Szwaczko wrote:
> GRUB is much more flexible, and - if you read up a lot - it's easy.

I have had it set up on a couple of different systems and I think one
customer still has it, and configuration isn't the problem, while I
think it's totally stupid to invent a new naming scheme where a
common one already exists I don't have a problem adapting to it, but
my issues have been with reliability.

> I'd not say a word to you 2 years ago, because I was just that
> conservative and trusted lilo. Seems, the only hurdle was prejudice
> and wrong mindset about GRUB. Since then, I use GRUB exclusively.

I've tried it, so strike prejudice, but wrong mindset I'll admit to.
:)

The problem I had with reliability came from the fact that GRUB stage
1 loads stage 1.5 from fs, and if that fs got corrupted no OS could
be booted at all. I had to replace GRUB with MBR from DOS6 over the
phone with one person.

> So, maybe you should give it a shot one more time.

Some time, I surely will.

//Peter