[LinuxBIOS] In System Flash Programming [Was: BIOS Saver RD1]

Jeff Carr jcarr at linuxmachines.com
Tue Aug 16 03:21:20 CEST 2005

On 08/15/2005 05:42 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:

> I like how the 280U and 580U look.
>
> I just sent Xeltek an email asking if they would be interested in
> releasing specs for the USB communication, and offered to write Linux
> software supporting their products.

Excellent; goodluck!

We need to dig up some old hat's in this arena. See if we can find a
lead on better in-socket options. The adapters for in socket programming
are rare and expensive I think (not lots of demand for that kind of
thing). For some chips, that's just going to be the only way things can
go of course.

Anyone care to estimate the percentage of socketed vs. non-socketed
BIOS's in the world's x86 machines shipped since 1990? since 2000?

Jeff