[LinuxBIOS] VGA support

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Thu Aug 11 00:41:02 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 17:35 -0400, Stephen.Kimball at bench.com wrote:
> Could someone explain the different VGA options with LinuxBIOS?
>
> I've read the testbios FAQ items.  This seems to be a utility program
> that can be run after the system comes up to initialize a VGA card. Then
> I suppose one could open an X window.
>
> Then there are several LinuxBIOS Options that mention VGA:
>    VGABIOS_START

This one is obsolete, it was used for VIA/EPIA only.
I am going to remove it soon.

>    PCI_VGA_RAM_IMAGE_START

This is were the VGABIOS is copy to in DRAM. By PCI spec, it should be
0xC0000 for x86.

>    CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA

This control if you are going to use VGA console. If it is enable, you
can read message from VGA screen instead of serial console.

>    CONFIG_LEGACY_VGABIOS

This one is obsolete too like VGABIOS_START.

> Some VGA options are more useful than others.  For example,
> CONFIG_LEGACY_VGABIOS does not seem to be used.
> I see CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA enables logging to the VGA.
> Could someone write a FAQ describing how to make CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA
> work?
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

Li-Ta Lo <ollie at lanl.gov>