[BULK] Re: [LinuxBIOS] Potential copyright issues with decompiling ACPI tables?

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Aug 4 09:50:51 CEST 2005

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Janek Kozicki wrote:
>
>> > Facts can't be copyrighted. But it's not easy to use that to convince
>> > someone to stop labeling a fact as being copyrighted.
>>
>> but current linux kernel has to decompile ACPI tables too, right? and BSD
> also?
>
> sure it does. Now what happens if it decompiles tables and mails them to
> world, I just don't know.

I don't know where we should get the information.  But
we should generate all of our tables from our native
LinuxBIOS device tree.  The MP table is about half way
there now.

That will both keep our information consistent.  And placing
the information in our own format means we are simply using
the information and not copying something.

Eric