[LinuxBIOS] Re: FW: Booting Linux using netboot and HD

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Mon Apr 25 06:47:12 CEST 2005

beneo wrote:

>Does filo support ext3 file system? the introduction say it supports
>ext2, but didn't say anything about ext3. If it doesn't support ext3,
>does it mean I have to re-install Linux to ext2?

No.  The ext3 filesystem is simply ext2 with a journal file and code to
maintain it added.  Linux kernels that lack ext3 support can still mount
ext3 filesystems as ext2, but if done rw, the journal will have to be
rebuilt by possibly forcing a filesystem check prior to mounting as
ext3.  However, filo only needs read access, so it should handle the
ext3 fine as ext2; my primary Linux root filesystem is ext3 and I've
never had a problem with filo related to the root filesystem being ext3.
If /boot is not part of the root filesystem then filo doesn't even
access the root filesystem; it will access the /boot filesystem to get
the kernel and optional initrd files.

>Another question I have is that, if I have LinuxBIOS installed, is
>there a way to install Linux to the HD using Redhad 9.0 distribution
>CDs?

It should work fine under LinuxBIOS.  If not, one can often resort to
the COTS BIOS.

BTW, I strongly suggest that a newer distribution like Fedora Core 3 or
the soon to be released Fedora Core 4 be used instead of Red Hat 9.0.
I've been struggling with Fedora Core 2, until I recently installed
Fedora Core 3.  Fedora Core 3 has much better ACPI debugging code than
Fedora Core 2 for LinuxBIOS ports.  Red Hat 9.0 doesn't even have Linux
2.6 and you really want at least 2.6.9 for good stability, etc.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>