Intel EFI

Trellix78 at aol.com Trellix78 at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 23:25:01 CEST 2004

I wanted to bring to attention Intel's Platform Innovation Framework for
Extensible Firmware Interface since its goals overlap with those LinuxBIOS a
little bit.  After reading the article at
_http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3790951165.html_ (http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3790951165.html) ,
I had some
questions about the ability of LinuxBIOS to support next-generation
hardware.   It looks like Intel wants to change the  whole firmware landscape with
EFI.  If such a framework will be  truly open and support legacy systems, it'll
make LinuxBIOS redundant, wouldn't  it?  What about
newer architectures like those built around the Itanium?   Will LinuxBIOS
be able to scale up as well as EFI?  Those are questions that I wanted  to
throw out there.