epia m vga + memcpy update

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Mon Sep 13 14:44:01 CEST 2004

Egbert Eich wrote:

>  > This is probally where the difference matters most for things like
>  > vbios.  support of the legacy bios calls.  VGA card bioses are really
>  > fragile.  One wrong return value and its off the trolly or hung in some
>  > sort of loop.
>
> Yes, however we have been pretty lucky so far.
> The only real issues arose with 'embedded BIOSes' like on laptops.
> These video BIOSes sometimes try to call fynctions in the system BIOS
> which behave strangely themselves (like try to switch to protected mode).

Oh its far worse than that.  They actually have special extensions that
the OEM has to support so that they can do special stuff for TV out or
LCD panel type detection.  And of course this is all Mfg specific and
only the info only acessable under NDA.

> I would prefer to do this stuff myself as Jon is mostly working on
> top of my old code. I would rather use the code from X.Org as a basis
> for enhancements as it had more public exposure and testing.

Ok. So you want to seed the repository with the stuff from X.org and let
everyone else re-implemnt thier stuff on top of that and then feedback
what changes they had to make?