about linux, linuxbios and bootup times

Dave Aubin daubin at actuality-systems.com
Fri Sep 10 09:28:00 CEST 2004

Ok, I will add my 2 cents.

This is my setup.
1.  Linux bios configures the MB (takes about 1-2 seconds for me and my
Tyan)
2.  Then it loads etherboot (add maybe another second here)
3.  Etherboot remotely loads Kernel from a machine already running thus
saving disk spin up time (4-5 seconds)
	A. I suppose you could have this in RAM and send over a gig pipe
or 10 gig pipe if speed is an issue
4.  Then Kernel runs (5-10 seconds later)
5.  Bash prompt with a well configured linux system

What is great about Linux bios is it is flexible.  It is also faster
than my standard bios as it doesn't
Do memory checks and such.  It just get's right on to it.  Although you
can add in your own tests in the
Bios or in the payload area.

FYI: I've heard a bproc setup gets going in about 10 seconds from power
on to running.

Here is an even faster plausible setup, you can't do this with a
proprietary bios;)
1.  Linux bios configures the MB (takes about 1-2 seconds for me and my
Tyan)
2.  Then it jumps to the linux kernel itself embedded on the BIOS itself
3.  Kernel is done loading about 5 to 10 seconds later and you're at cli
prompt.

This is an ideal case for speed if you have a big enough bios size.
M-Tech is
Supposed to have an LPC interface to their DOC (disk on chip).  This
would have made
My life so nice, but as far as I know it isn't ready yet.

Hope this helps.  Oh and the support from this email list is quite
awesome.  People
Here always help me so I try to return the favor as much as I can.

Dave