Soldered flash part recommendations

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Sat Sep 4 13:50:01 CEST 2004

Jeremy Jackson wrote:
> Another thought occurs... what about putting an SBC in the PCI slot?
> I guess the first issue would be making sure there's only one PCI bus
> arbiter.

Or having a proper PCI bridge in place.

In the case of the SBC, is that usually on the backplane or
> the SBC motherboard?

Backplanes and SBC's come however you spec them.

> It would be real slick to pop the SBC into a motherboard with bad code
> in the soldered in flash chip, and re-flash it.

Even if you had the proper PCI bridge setup the SBC would not be able to
access the motherboard's flash since the motherboard's BIOS (in your
example) is bad so the motherboard's hardware would not be properly
initialized to handle the transaction.

-Bari