linuxbios external api

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Thu Sep 2 05:47:00 CEST 2004

* Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> [040902 06:08]:
> Maybe this has been asked before, but i've been thinking about exporting
> functions like serial console, debugger entry points, etc.  the PC BIOS
> uses the interrupt vectors as, well, vectors.  I remember the C=64 had a
> jump table at a fixed address.  I was wondering how hard it would be to
> use an ELF symbol table as a jump table, or at least as the source of
> information to build one.

LinuxBIOS exports some information in a data structure called the
LinuxBIOS table. It has been the expressed wish of many here to not
have any callback functionality in LinuxBIOS, so no entry points or
function calls to LinuxBIOS code. If you want this, have a look at
OpenBIOS as a payload on top of LinuxBIOS. It provides IEEE 1275-1994
(Open Firmware) compliant callbacks to the operating system.

Stefan