VIA GPL Violation ?

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Thu Oct 28 09:55:01 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:31:22AM +0200, Amaury Jacquot wrote:
> hi guys
> was looking through via arena, and found this file :
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/guides/WinCE/fastboot%20v2.03.zip
>
> problem is, running
>
> strings */BIOS_*.BIN | grep inux
>
> gives 2 mentions of LinuxBios for each binary bios file, which makes the
> whole thing suspect...
>
> should via be hit with some GPL cluestick ?

Send them a registered letter via USPS mail requesting the source code,
and specify the URL of the code, the source code in question, the
license, and a specific request for their modified sourcecode under the
terms of the license.  Make sure to give them a date for compliance.

Make sure you have a copy of the letter, and if they don't comply, I'm
sure the happy lawyers down at the FSF would be happy to contact them..

Rule of thumb:  Do not make a public scene about this.  Handle this
quietly until public exposure is a last resort; let the FSF handle it.
If you make a public scene (ie, /. posting) VIA is much less likely to
be amicable in the future, especially since we *WANT* them developing
GPL code and being part of the community, not setting policies like
"never touch GPLed code, it's a minefield".