Freebios2 recovery progress... pci64 mem optimization

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Oct 21 20:58:45 CEST 2004

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> Eric,
>
> In northbridge.c
>
> Another typo error

Thanks. My test case obviously does not include a 32bit prefetchable memory
resource.

> Another question is
>
> Should do align big allocation at first or align small first.
>
> It seems you should do align big allocation.

Hmm.

What has generally proved to be a good solution.
Is to allocate the resources with the largest alignment at
the lowest addresses, and the resources with the less strict
alignment at later addresses.
So I think we are in agreement about what works well.

I don't think it matters which order you perform the allocation
so long as the larger alignments come at the lower addresses in
memory.

Right now this is a first pass and it does ok, but it has
all sorts of issues.  I believe what really needs to happen
is that these resources become transparent/subtractive
and that compute_allocate_resource be taught how to do a better
job with limits.

That should also help with the case where one bridge can do something
better than another bridge.

The current strategy of reducing the limit of the parent resource actually
falls down when we hit pnp I/O resources that are only 12 bit.

I need to be fresh before I fix the general problem though.

Eric