mtrr

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Nov 11 19:54:00 CET 2004

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> In the cpu/x86/mtrr/mtrr.c
>
> #warning "FIXME I do not properly handle address more than 36 physical
> address bits"
> #ifdef k8
> # define ADDRESS_BITS 40
> #else
> # define ADDRESS_BITS 36
> #endif
> #define ADDRESS_BITS_HIGH (ADDRESS_BITS - 32)
> #define ADDRESS_MASK_HIGH ((1u << ADDRESS_BITS_HIGH) - 1)
>
> It seems someone already remove k8 from Option.lb
>
> Then ....
>
> Regards

Interesting.  The mtrr's actually work and the kernel is confused.

However what we need to do is call the appropriate cpuid function
to compute it or pass in the number of address bits.  It should not be
a compile time option, at least not in the generic code.  What
happens when we get can plug in cpus with different address bit
limits.

Eric