FILO fixups

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Nov 1 14:14:01 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, YhLu wrote:

> >From the very beginning, how to initialize the CF flash, do it manually?

This is the bootstrap question.

LNXI booted etherboot to load our flashes up. Once it was up, I reflashed
flash and CF with a FILO-only image.

> Or if the CF FS crashed, how do you roll it back?

We've never had it happen here, in several thousand nodes * several years.
I'm sure it would not be fun.

But recall that many installations do not have ethernet connection of any
kind, so there is no real recovery via ethernet in those cases.
Ethernet-free machines constitute several thousand machines here at LANL.

We are in fact disconnecting gigE from about 1200 nodes as I speak.

ron