Diskless Windows??

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Thu May 6 09:53:00 CEST 2004

Adam Sulmicki <adam at cfar.umd.edu> writes:

> Having said this all I think someone else did some work in that area,
> transparent forwarding of disk I/O or some such..either way it would be
> proprietary binary only stuff..

I am not sure what the OP meant by "diskless". If the question is
about booting Windows from a networked disk on a computer without a
local disk, then it is possible booting off an iSCSI disk. Check

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects/storage/iboot/

Disclosure: I work at IBM's Haifa Labs - iBOOT is rather routine for us.

LinuxBIOS is not a part of this, though. Pity.

To be quite fair, Cisco are also working hard:

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/1490471

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at NOSPAM.goldshmidt.org