Disable USB2 in AMD8111 and remove ide hardcode io addr

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed May 5 08:51:01 CEST 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, ron minnich wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 2004, YhLu wrote:
>
> > I'm going to add several lines in amd8111_enable of amd8111.c to disable
> > USB2 in amd8111.
> >
> >         /* disable usb2 in amd 8111 because it does not work awlays*/
> >         byte = pci_read_config8(lpc_dev, 0x47);
> >         byte |= (1<<7);
> >         pci_write_config8(lpc_dev, 0x47, byte);
>
> this is the wrong way to do this, please don't do it just yet.

ok, the other two changes look fine.

This disabling is fine if the kernel can later re-enable, but I doubt the
kernel will do that. We need a way to make this usb enable/disable visible
at configuration time, so people can turn on/off as needed, unless usb2.0
on the 8111 NEVER work. I am willing to guess it will work someday, and
this built-in disable will come back to bite us.

ron