Using LinuxBios to protect against DRM in PC hardware?

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 15:49:00 CET 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 4:06 pm, Carl Youngblood wrote:

> Pardon me if I am off-base here (I don't know much about LinuxBios), but
> I've heard rumors/threats of new BIOSes that incorporate DRM into the BIOS
> and won't allow non-approved OSes to run on them.  Could LinuxBios be a
> way of protecting against this?

I'm not aware of DRM BIOSes which stop you running non-approved OSes; however
if you do so, then you won't be able to run DRM-aware applications, because
the chain of assurance from hardware (TPM) to BIOS to OS to Application is
broken (and that's what DRM-aware applications look for before they'll let
you play with copyright materials).

As far as I'm aware, all current DRM / TCPA / TCG implementations allow you to
boot whatever you like, but if it's not a certified OS then DRM applications
simply won't play ball.

Obviously if you start LinuxBIOS instead of the motherboard vendor-supplied
BIOS, you simply ignore the existence of the TPM chip/s.

Regards,

Antony.

--
There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.

 - Billy Connolly

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.